Powered By Blogger

Saturday 30 July 2011

Film Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

9/10

Well folks, that's it.  The end.  No more Harry Potter, and if this is the last ever film in the series (and I bet it will be) then they've made sure it ended wonderfully.

That's not to say the film was without it's flaws.  It's not perfect but mainly they're due to what they've missed out from the book and to say that the film suffers for that is perhaps a bit churlish but it's my review so I'm allowed to nit-pick.

One glaring omission (for me) is how they failed to mention how Voldemort's name was cursed so that if they said it, it could lead the Death-Eaters straight to them.  And also Percy Weasley's sudden reappearance.  But, to be fair, if I hadn't read the books, these points (amongst others) would probably have gone over my head.

Some people are bemoaning the final duel, saying that the book version is better.  Well, is it 'better' or just 'different'?  The books are one thing.  They are all brilliant and largely sacrosanct.  They are (I believe) all amongst the best selling books in history (of course the Bible is still in the lead - in the Fiction section at least).  But the films are just films.  Yes, they are 'based' on the book, but they are also perfectly good in their own right.  In fact, if the films were just on their own, without the books to compare them with, I'm sure they'd all be ranked a lot higher in many peoples opinions.

As it is, I thought the film was pretty brilliant.  It was funny, moving, thrilling, exciting, and wonderful.  I'd have loved to have seen more of the battle of Hogwarts and some of the acting was a bit... Lacking (Bonnie Wright, you're gorgeous but you're not going to win an Oscar).

But mostly, I think it's the knowledge that this was the last one, until the inevitable remakes in 20 years time, that makes this such as great, great film.

Thank you Harry, Hermione and Ron.

Thank you J K Rowling.

Thank you Warner Brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment