Powered By Blogger

Sunday 5 June 2011

Film Review: Downfall

Der Untergang (aka Downfall)

8.5/10

Powerful, compelling and oddly moving film about the final ten days of Adolf Hitler.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the Hitler Meme where his tantrum in the bunker is used to portray his disapproval of various modern incidents and people (Ronaldo leaving Man Utd or hearing 'Friday' by Rebecca Black are two of my favourites) and I'll admit that was the first time I'd heard of this film.

I thought it was brilliantly acted (especially by Bruno Ganz, with special mentions to Ulrich Matthes and the GORGEOUS Alexandra Maria Lara) and it felt strange to be experiencing the horrors of WW2, through the eyes of the Germans. You do tend to forget that they suffered at the hand of Hitler too. This film reminds us.

I would recommend it to anyone interested in War films, but it might be a bit of a slog, considering it's just over 2 and a half hours long and (obviously) all in subtitles. But if you're prepared for that, I think you'll enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment